My Photo
Name:
Location: San Diego, California, United States

Like a particularly notorious child's tantrums, a mountaneous river's intemperance, a volcano's reckless carelessness and the dreamy eyes of a caged bird, imagination tries to fly unfettered. Hesitant as she takes those first steps, she sculpts those ambitious yet half baked earthen pots.

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Mirza Ghalib

Most of Ghalib's ghazals are written for someone whom the speaker holds very dear. It is never clear though, whether that special person is a girl a boy or god. Ghalib has successfully maintained this ambiguity in all his creations. For the sake of explanation, I shall assume that the revered subject is a girl.

आह को चाहिये एक उम्र असर होने तक,
कौन जीता है तिरी ज़ुल्फ के सर होने तक

My prayer/pleading to you will need a lifetime to get realized. By the time it makes any effect on you, I might not be alive. ज़ुल्फ के सर refers to the change which the speaker is expecting on his/her lover/god as a result of the speaker's pleadings.

हमने माना कि तघाफुल ना करोगे लेकिन,
ख़ाक हो जायेंगे हम तुमको खबर होने तक

तघाफुल means neglect. I agree that you will not neglect me once you know the state of my heart but I wonder if I shall be alive by the time you get a wind of the affairs.

परतव-ए-खुर से है शबनम को फना की तालीम
मैं भी हँू एक इनायत कि नज़र होने तक

परतव-ए-खुर is the image/reflection of sunlight. In the same way as a drop of dew (शबनम) is aware of its mortality by sunlight, I am alive just to have that one sympathetic/understanding gaze of yours.

गम-ए-हस्ती का असद किससे हो जुज़ मर्ग इलाज
शमा हर रंग में जलती है सहर होने तक

गम-ए-हस्ती is the sum total of the pains of living. It now seems that all my pains will find their solution in my death. Till then I am like that flame which has to burn in every colour till her agony is relieved by the first light of the day

-------------------------------------------

ये ना थी हमारी किस्मत कि विसाल-ए-यार होता
अगर और जीते रहते यही इन्तज़ार होता

It was not in my destiny that I got a chance to meet her. Considering this, I welcome my death as an extended life would only have meant more longing and pain.

तेरे वादे पर जिये हम तो ये जान झूठ जाना
के खुशी से मर ना जाते अगर ऐतबार होता

Although I always knew that your promise was fake, I nevertheless lived believing that lie. If only I had faith in your truthfulness, I would have died of ecstacy

कहँू किससे मैं कि क्या है, शब-ए-गम बुरी बला है
मुझे क्या बुरा था मरना, अगर एक बार होता।

Whom do I tell how painful these sad nights are? If only I had to die just once, I would have happily accepted it.

-------------------------------------------

12 Comments:

Blogger Amit said...

Mujhe tumhare is page ka layout bohot hi jayada pasand aaya. Ek dum upyukt hai. Per usse bhi jayada aacha tumhare kavitawon ka sangrah, bilkul meri pasand ke anusar hai. It seems we have a lot in common afterall!

11:47 PM  
Blogger Anurup K.T said...

Interesting ji. Had to join in in order to comment on your posts. Vaise sangrah to acha hain.Keep on posting.

Although your first line comment could be taken in a very interesting context. You want to place ghalib in the esteemed company of people like Oscar wilde, shakespeare & Leornado da vince :) ???

Do post some more from other writers as well like Meer saki meer whom Ghalib used to consider his ustaad.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Ankit said...

Certainly. Reading his verses, he seems to be every bit as good as them. Its just that he was practising a dying art.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Vikram Mavalankar said...

achha hai ki aapne anuvaad provide kiya hai.. varna mujh jaise nacheez ko kuch samajh mein hi nahin aata..

5:21 PM  
Blogger kowsik said...

isn't कॆसरः supposed to mean saffron? If that is true, then it probably is "ज़ुल्फ केसर होने तक"

6:54 PM  
Blogger Ankit said...

main samajh raha hoon tumhara kis taraf ishaara hai... ज़ुल्फ केसर se tumhara matlab hai kaafi samay beet jaana... lekin ज़ुल्फ के सर se matlab hai ज़ुल्फ ka chehere se uthna which in a sense represents an enlightenment or a realization or a change in perception. In this scenario, it fits more to the Sher

11:01 PM  
Blogger None said...

There seems to be a problem since I cannot read the hindi/urdu that you have posted in your site. Is there some way in which this problem can be rectified? Any ideas?

5:22 AM  
Blogger None said...

Thank you so much for your help. I have installed the Devanagari fonts into my system and can read the poetry in your site.

9:08 PM  
Blogger None said...

Thank you so much for your help. I have installed the Devanagari fonts into my system and can read the poetry in your site.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Sandeep Kunwar said...

cool dear!
do u know who is the poet of these awesome poem ?

कोशिश करने वालों की हार नहीं होती...
लहरों से डरकर नौका पार नहीं होती,
कोशिश करने वालों की हार नहीं होती

2:27 AM  
Blogger Ankit said...

yeh lines Suryakant Tripathi Nirala ki hain... bahut sundar hai yeh poori kavita

3:38 PM  
Blogger SAMEER ROCK STAR said...

plz dr link my site www.careerguid.blogspot.com

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home